August 11, 2011

A glimmer of hope


This morning, after putting Brayden down for his morning nap, I sat down with my cup of coffee and began to read the Toronto Star. My eyes were immediately drawn to the headline: ‘Breakthrough’ therapy rids patients of cancer. With much skepticism, I proceeded to scan Joseph Hall’s article. Upon completion, I found myself feeling very excited about what this reported research was promising and thought that maybe it could actually be a reality for my children to, one day, see the eradication of cancer. 

Essentially, the research involved a novel technique (similar in concept to a vaccine) which transforms blood-borne T-cells into “serial killers” that hunt down and obliterate cancer cells, leaving healthy tissue unharmed. Albeit only conducted on three late-stage leukemia patients, the results are extremely impressive – within three weeks more than two pounds of tumour cells in each patient were blown away. 

Although this post isn’t overtly related to my life as a new mom, this news has left me with a glimmer of hope that there may be children in my lifetime who will not have to know the devastation of cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment