September 29, 2011

Keeping busy

Maternity leave has been amazing. I am loving motherhood and all the messy and adorable things that come with it.  There have, however, been days where I've felt very lonely.
It was about three months into being home with Brayden that I began to feel comfortable with everything.  Breastfeeding was finally starting to become less of a painful production and I was feeling confident in leaving the house with him (awake or asleep).  Given that it was still winter, the days were feeling extra gloomy and it wasn't exactly the best time of year to be taking a new baby out for walks.  (I despise weather below 0 so I couldn't imagine a newborn enjoying it very much.)  I found myself spending a lot of my time walking around the Pickering Town Centre (which grew old quickly).
One day, I decided to hop on Google to investigate daytime activities for mommy & baby in our neighbourhood.  I found some resources and immediately got involved -- and met some fantastic momma & baby pairs!
I highly recommend new mommas get out of the house and meet other mom/baby pairs.  Not only did it give us something to do during the daytime, but we also got to chat with other adults who wanted to talk baby and share experiences of motherhood plus, we've made some great friends! Be sure to check out what's available in your neighbourhood early on so that you can get on any potential wait lists and take advantage of programs offered to even the newest of babies.
Below is a list of the programs offered in Pickering that Brayden and I took advantage of.  Many of the programs are available across the province and some are put on by the Ontario government and are free!

Ontario Early Years Centre
Perk: Lots of programs to choose from and it's all free!
I recommend Bouncing Babies and Learn to Play. (Both are great for 5 months+)

Mommy & Baby Fitness 
Perk: Locations everywhere!
I recommend Mommy and Baby Aerobics (fall/winter) and Strollerfit (spring/summer)

Babyville
Perk: Mom (and baby) discussion group moderated by a Public Health Nurse
A great way to meet a small group of moms in the community who want to stay in touch after the program's eight weeks!

Swimming Lessons
Perk: Develops a love for swimming and water safety
- Brayden started at 4 months old and was enrolled in Starfish/Duck (Red Cross swim levels)

No comments:

Post a Comment