July 5, 2011

It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to

Today is my 31st birthday and there's nothing like a teething baby to remind you that birthdays are just not what they used to be. At 1:00 this morning, I woke up to Brayden's mid-night crying. Since he's been pretty good at sleeping through the night lately, I decided to let him cry it out for a bit. This technique isn't as cruel as it may sound because our little one usually just lulls himself back to sleep within five minutes.  This (very early) morning, however; was a different story. His cry proceeded to get louder and stronger and more scream-like after a few minutes so I ran in to check on him.  I figured he might just need to be topped up so I nursed him expecting that he'd fall right back to sleep.  Wrong! I was up with him until 4:30 a.m. trying to figure out what the heck was paining him so much. I tried brining him into bed with us, taking him for a walk throughout the house, singing to him and playing (quietly) with his favourite toys but nothing seemed to help. By 2:00 a.m., I offered him a dose of Camilia to help ease the pain of potential teething. (Although we can't quite see anything yet, I think his top two teeth might be starting to make their way down through the gum.) Then, after two and a half hours of screaming (baby) and crying (baby and me), I finally caved and offered him a dose of baby Tylenol. He finally went back to sleep for a couple of hours at 4:30 a.m. Happy birthday mommy, love Brayden. :p)

4 comments:

  1. Boo! Poor Brayden (and poor you!). Glad the baby Tylenol worked. I'm not a huge fan of meds either (I will rant about antibiotics too, given the chance) but sometimes you just gotta do it.

    Hope everyone spoils you by coming over and taking Brayden so you can nap!

    Will call later, but Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen! Avery popped her first tooth yesterday (bottom right) and I also caved and gave her Tylenol. She has also had a hard time sleeping and needed a bit of help. The Camilla seems to work well during the day but, like you found, not so great at night. I think they are more aware of the pain when they don't have their daytime distractions. Hope you (and Brayden) have a great sleep tonight! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Booo...so sad hearing a teething baby cry. My doc said that if adults had to go through teething we would be on morphine! Hope Braydens doing well now! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel guilty about the Tylenol. Once I got over my guilt we made it through teething with greater ease. One doctor actually told us babies have to learn pain mgmt, and that's all about the Tylenol! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete