June 8, 2011

Early Must Haves

As my hubby and I prepared for the arrival of baby Brayden we relied heavily on recommendations from friends. I have decided to now pass along the knowledge we've gathered from our experience by posting a list of our family favorites.  This post focuses on the items we consider essential in getting started.


1. Skin to skin baby carrier: I had received my Moby wrap as a gift from my lactation consultant/family friend. Skin to skin contact is essential in the first couple of months, especially if you're breastfeeding.  This type of contact with your baby releases all sorts of mothering hormones that encourage milk supply.
2. Video monitor: A huge leap from the monitors our parents used with us, video monitors allow you to hear and see your sleeping baby day or night. We love our Slim & Secure Handheld Colour Video Monitor because when our little guy is fussing, we can check to see if he really needs us.
3. Swing: I was very fortunate to have received the Fisher Price My Little Lamb Cradle 'n Swing as a shower gift from a group of girlfriends.  This swing is worth its weight in gold.
4. UppaBaby stroller: The UppaBaby Vista is available in various stylish colours, has adapters for most popular car seats and has a large basket, which has proven to be very handy in carrying everything from groceries to Christmas presents. We love our stroller.
5. Babywrapper: I love innovative products and the babywrapper is definitely one that I recommend to all parents who are new to bathing an infant. Basically, it's a big, soft towel that you tie around your neck like a bib making the transition from bath tub to towel quick and easy.  Best of all, it's made in Canada! (Thanks for introducing me to this fab product, Genevieve.)
6. Bundle me:  Depending on the season, you'll want to set your infant car seat up with one of these. Brayden was born in November so rather than fussing with snow suits all winter long this was a must.









For the nursing mom
7. Nursing cover: I purchased the Bebe au Lait nursing cover because of the great coverage it provides and its rigid neckline which allows you to check in on baby hassle free. It is available in a variety of colours and patterns so you can nurse in style! I picked up my cover at  Baby on the Hip.


For the fussy baby
8. Exercise ball: Babies love being bounced, and bounced, and bounced.  We found that sitting and bouncing on the exercise ball worked wonders in calming our colic-stricken baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment